Sunday, 29 April 2012

Review Of A Monster Calls



Title: A Monster Calls
Author: Patrick Ness
Original Idea: Siobhan Dowd


Blurb:
The monster showed up after midnight. As they do. But it isn't the monster Connor's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...
This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Connor. It wants the truth.


My Review:
Sorry, I haven't posted in a while but I keep having other things to do and haven't had time to write this review, so I'm sorry. Anyway, this book won best book in my county, so I though, I'll give it a try. 


This book was alright. It didn't completely wow me but I didn't hate it. It was just alright. The whole story is Connor's mum has cancer and her treatments aren't working out how there supposed to. Connor keeps having a nightmare and the monster has come to get the truth of the nightmare out of Connor. It's hard for Connor and you can see his struggle having to admit the truth. 


The monster tells three tales that are supposed to have a meaning that helps Connor, but Connor can't see how it helps. In the end Connor gets fed up with the bullies and rages out on everyone. His dad comes back from America for a while and he has to live with his gran whilst his mum is in hospital. 


The ending sentence is really sweet and this book was quite good. In parts I would be enticed and not want to put it down but then it would go onto a downer and I would want to put it down.


I would say give it a try as I did enjoy it but it wasn't giving me the wow factor and a book that I would recommend for people to definitely read but it was quite enjoyable.

x x x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one!