Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Review of The Weight of Water

Title: The Weight of Water
Author: Sarah Crossan

Blurb:

Armed with a suitcase and an old laundry bag filled with clothes, Kasienka and her mother head for England. Life is lonely for Kasienka. At home her mother's heart is breaking and at school friends are scarce. But when someone special swims into her life, Kasienka learns that there might be more than one way for her to stay afloat. 'The Weight of Water' is a startlingly original piece of fiction; most simply a brilliant coming of age story, it also tackles the alienation experienced by many young immigrants. Moving, unsentimental and utterly page-turning, we meet and share the experiences of a remarkable girl who shows us how quiet courage prevails.

(Blurb taken from goodreads)

My Review:

I'm taking part in my own little Carnegie book awards, there isn't enough space at my school so my English teacher said that I could do it independently, I immediately checked out the books on  NetGalley and saw this and requested it, luckily it was then approved!


I read this book in several hours and from the first page I was intrigued, the layout was different. The whole book was told in a series of poems (they don't rhyme though so it doesn't feel like you are reading a multitude of poems, which I liked as I HATE poetry)

The story follows Kasienka, who is Polish, as she heads to England to find her Tata (Dad) with her Mama (Mum). Her mum can't face that her dad walked out all those years ago so her mum drags Kasienka along for the ride. 

They live in a cramped studio apartment and they are both desperately trying to fit in. Kasienka gets bullied by the 'it' girl called Clair. 

This book is much deeper than it first appears and really does make you think about bullying and immigrants and how other people feel.

I really enjoyed this book and I would HIGHLY recommend it, it exceeded my expectations and I think that you shouldn't dismiss it just because you don't like books told in poetic form. And if you do like books told like that, then hey, this books for you!

This book is also set in Warwickshire which is where I live so I could really visualize everything. Also my mum's maiden name was Crossan, so me and Sarah could be related! 


X X X X X 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one!