Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Collab: Money

Today, the amazing Iris and I have done a collab! The task was to write a story on the theme of wishes. We each wrote a 100 word first part, swapped and then finished the story! Here's mine! Iris's words are in italics! Don't forget to check out her story here
"I wish I didn't have a test next week-wait, no. I wish, I wish I had my dream job. Actually..."

"1 million dollar grants you one wish darling. You'll just have to trust us."

And so she walked away, a million gone from her account, and no clue what she wanted to use her wish for. It's what my company, Desire, does; we grant wishes. But thinking of a single thing to benefit their lives, a single thing to make all that money worth it causes them to really think of what they want. Some find their wish, some don't.

And so the next day I came back, sure of what I wanted.

"Money." I said. "I just want unlimited money!"

"Are you 100% sure madam, you can never change your wish, nor can you have another one."

"Yes, I'm completely sure. Money can buy you happiness!"

"Okay, if that is what you desire."

I walked away happily with a greedy glint in my eye. I was naive, I was about to learn that money is not always the solution. It doesn't make you truly happy.

Sure, it was great to start off with. I bought houses, holidays, clothes and anything else I could think of, but gradually I turned everybody away. I was too good for them. All my family, all my friends, all my partners. Gone.

At first I enjoyed being by myself, I didn't need any body. I could what I wanted, when I wanted. Nobody could stop me.

However, as I got older, I saw my old friends settle down. I had nobody, just money. I was too greedy to get rid of it. I couldn't part with it. I sacrificed my true happiness for cold, hard cash.

I got older and older until eventually I became an old lady. A lonely old lady. A lonely, rich old lady. Everyday I regretted my wish. I didn't need that money, I could've lived without it. I realised that money doesn't buy true happiness. I'd been to some amazing places and had some incredible experiences, but I was alone whilst doing them. I had no-one to share them with. And then I thought about what I should've wished for all those years ago, and that was someone to share my life with, someone to share all my experiences with.

Now the people at Desire tell my story. I don't want the same thing that happened to me to happen to anybody else. It makes them think carefully about what they really want, what will truly make them happy. 

You have to be careful what you wish for...
post signature


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one!